Our History

History as written in the dedication service booklet from July 28, 1957.

Concordia Lutheran Church had it beginnings as a mission under the Wyneken Missionary Society of Concordia Seminary, Springfield.  A Sunday School was opened in September of 1923 in the area to the South of Bunn Park.  Worship services and Sunday School were conducted by seminary students in a home until 1924 when the students with their own labor and money erected a chapel on a rented lot.  In 1930 Student A. C. Young was placed in charge of the mission.  When the little chapel was no longer large enough to house the children, two tents were borrowed from the State Fair grounds, as a temporary arrangement.  Later that year a portable chapel and school annex were built by the Mission Board and dedicated on September 25, 1931.  A Day School was begun with an enrollment of 67 pupils.  In the years following, Pastor Young had the assistance of seminary students in teaching school.  At the end of 1932 there were 42 communicant members.  A larger school building was erected and dedicated in October of 1937.

The Ladies Aid of Concordia was organized in 1931.  The Walther League Society begin in 1932 and the Men's Club had its beginning in 1939.  Pastor Albert C. Young served the congregation until 1944 when the Rev. Arthur F. H. Wiegert accepted the call to Concordia.  When he accepted another call in 1951, Prof. C. W. Spiegel of Concordia Seminary served as vacancy pastor until the Rev. G. Gerike was installed in 1952.  Pastor Gerike left after 15 months, with Prof. Spiegel again taking over the vacancy until the summer of 1955 when the present pastor, Robert E. Brege, was installed.

Several years ago property was purchased at 2300 Wilshire Road in the Lakelawn area.  A teacherage and parsonage were erected in the same block, with the parsonage on the church lot.  Ground-breaking ceremonies for the new church were held in August of 1956.  The cornerstone was laid on October 7, 1956.

Mr. Otto Dargatz is principal of the Day School and also teaches the upper grades.  Mrs. Clarence Lovekamp teaches the lower grades and Mrs. Axel Ericson is kindergarten teacher.

The congregation now numbers 225 communicants with 43 pupils in the Day school and 93 in the Sunday School.

 

Contents © 2022 Concordia Lutheran Church-School-Preschool • Church Website Builder by mychurchwebsite.netPrivacy Policy